Banana’s Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2kg fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- 1 bunch oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry the onion and garlic (in olive oil or dry fry it if you want fat free, but it tastes better with olive oil), until it is fragrant. Add the tomatoes, and 1.5 litres of water or vegetable stock.
2. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook on low until the tomatoes have stewed. Add the chopped herbs.
3. Drain the tomatoes, but keep the liquid.
4. Begin pureeing the soup, adding liquid until you reach the desired consistency. I like it to be thicker. Puree until it is smooth, or you can leave it chunky if you want. I like it to be very smooth.
5. Season to taste, and re-heat. Makes 6 – 8 serves