Easy Bean and Vegetable Soup
Recipe by: Susan Voisin
This delicious soup is a nutritional powerhouse! And, it’s so tasty that I have no trouble getting my 8-year-old to eat her vegetables when they’re prepared this way.
Using frozen vegetable combinations, such as California or Italian blends, makes throwing this recipe together a snap!
- 5 cups fatfree vegetable broth, (or use water with optional veg. bouillon)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes — Italian style
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned cannelini beans, chickpeas, or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 pounds chopped vegetables (may be frozen)–any combination–try to include carrots, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced potatoes or corn kernels (may use frozen, oil-free hash browns)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco, or other hot sauce
- 4-6 ounces fresh or frozen spinach
Combine all ingredients except spinach in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Add additional broth if necessary. Add spinach and cook for 5 more minutes before serving.
Serves 4-8, depending on your appetite