Eric’s Latin Black Bean Soup
Recipe by: Eric S.
Here is one of my all-time favorites, my variation on a recipe by McDougall. You can alter the liquid as you like to make it anything from soup to stew to very thick.
- 1 c Black beans; dried
- 6+/- c Water
- 1 Onion; chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper; chopped
- 1 Knorr vegetarian boulion cube
- 1-1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 oz Tomato paste; canned (or 8-oz. tomato sauce)
- 1/2 C uncooked brown rice
- 1 C frozen corn
- 1 4-oz. can chilis
Place beans and water in a large soup pot. Bring to boil; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let rest for about 45 minutes.
Return to heat. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and chili powder. Cover and let cook over low heat for 1-1/2 hours.
Add tomato sauce and rice and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Add chilis, and corn. Cook 10 minutes. Serve hot.