- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Collards and Black-eyed Pea Soup
Posted By Susan Voisin On March 4, 2010 @ 12:35 pm In Recipes with Photos,Soups and Stews | No Comments
Recipe By : adapted slightly from Lorna Sass
Serving Size : 6
This delicious soup may be made either in a pressure cooker or in a regular soup pot. Delicious served with authentic Louisiana hot sauce!
6 cups water — or vegetable stock
2 cups blackeyed peas — picked over and rinsed
1 bunch collard greens — (about 1 pound)
2 large onions — peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery — finely chopped
4 cloves garlic — peeled and minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme — (divided)
1 pinch cayenne — or crushed red pepper flakes
salt — or miso to taste
1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
Pressure Cooker Directions:
1. Bring the water and peas to a boil in the pressure cooker. Meanwhile, wash the collards thoroughly. Discard thick stems and discolored leaves. Chop the remaining stems and leaves into 1-inch strips. Add the collards, onions, celery, garlic, 1/2 tsp thyme, and cayenne to the cooker.
2. Lock the lid into place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Lower the heat to maintain the pressure at high and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce pressure with a quick-release method. Remove the lid. If the peas are not quite done, return to high pressure for another minute or two.
3. Stir in salt or miso to taste, reserved thyme, and liquid smoke flavoring and cook for about 15 minutes more.
Standard Stovetop Directions: In a large soup pot, proceed as directed in step one. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until the peas are tender, about 45-55 minutes. Follow step 3.
This makes 6 large servings.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
Per serving: 209 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (3% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; trace Cholesterol; 33mg Sodium
NOTES : A combination of soul-food favorites makes for an earthy and very satisfying dish. It quickly thickens upon standing; thin it with water or stock as needed. And don’t forget to pass the hot sauce.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/04/collards-and-black-eyed-pea-soup/
Copyright © 2002-2013 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.