- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Khalota (Algerian Vegetable Medley)
Posted By Susan Voisin On March 23, 2010 @ 4:21 pm In Recipes with Photos,Vegetables | No Comments
Adapted from Vegetarian Table : North Africa by Kitty Morse.
Spicy without being hot, exotic without using hard-to-find ingredients, Khalota (pronounced Ha-Lo-Ta) is a delicious introduction to North African cooking.
* 1 small onion, finely diced
* 2 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
* 6 cloves garlic, minced
* 15 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, minced
* 3 carrots, peeled and diced
* 2 small potatoes (about 1/2 pound), diced
* 2 cups vegetable broth
* 2 zucchini (about 1/2 pound), peeled and diced
* 1 medium globe eggplant (about 3/4 pound), peeled and diced
* 8 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 8 ounces fresh fava beans in their pods, strings removed, cut into 1-inch pieces, OR one 10-ounce package frozen baby lima beans
* Salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
* minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
In a large non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat, dry-fry the onion, stirring constantly, until it is tender and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, three-fourths of the minced garlic, the parsley, and 1 tablespoon water. Stir well. Add the carrots, potatoes, and broth. Cover and cook until the carrots lose their crispness, 8-10 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the zucchini, eggplant, green beans, and fava or lima beans. Cover and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt (if using), pepper, and cayenne to taste. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and remaining minced garlic and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/23/khalota-algerian-vegetable-medley/
Copyright © 2002-2015 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.