- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Spiced Sweet-Potato Stew
Posted By archives On March 30, 2010 @ 2:00 pm In Pressure Cooker,Soups and Stews | No Comments
This hearty vegetable stew is full of flavor, thanks to a blend of spices combined with a touch of peanut butter. Using a pressure cooker allows you to have this stew on the table in minutes!
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons water
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes in juice
2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
2 cans (15 to 19 ounces each) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1. In small bowl, with kitchen shears, coarsely chop 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves. Reserve remaining cilantro for garnish.
2. In 6-quart pressure cooker, heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and 2 tbsp. water and cook about 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed. Stir in garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and crushed red pepper, and cook 1 minute, stirring.
3. While onion is cooking, with kitchen shears, cut tomatoes, in their can, into small pieces.
4. To onion mixture in pressure cooker, add tomatoes with their juice, sweet-potato chunks, garbanzo beans, broth, peanut butter, and chopped cilantro. Following manufacturer’s directions, cover pressure cooker, bring up to pressure, and cook under pressure 5 minutes. Release pressure as manufacturer directs. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Adapted from a recipe in Good Housekeeping
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/30/spiced-sweet-potato-stew/
Copyright © 2002-2015 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.