- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Chickpeas and Chard
Posted By archives On March 31, 2010 @ 12:16 pm In Beans and Legumes | No Comments
Submitted by: Courtney (Recipe By: Vegetarian Times)
1 large onion, finely diced
Pinch or 2 of saffron threads
2 garlic cloves (I use more–I love garlic!)
sea salt and pepper (optional)
1 C cilantro leaves
1/4 C parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 medium bunches chard leaves, with stems
2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, organic, with liquid, or 3 cups home-cooked
1) Heat a wide skillet over med. heat. Add a saute liquid, or use pan spray. Add onion and saffron, cook over med. heat, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes. Pound garlic with 1/2 tsp. salt (if using), cilantro, parsley, and cumin to make a rough paste. When onions are golden, add paste to pan along with tomato paste.
2) Slice chard leaves off stems. Place in wide pot with 2 cups water and cook, covered, about 5 minutes. Set leaves aside in colander, reserving cooking water.
3) Trim chard stems so that you are left with planklike pieces of even width. Cut planks (stems) into fine dice and drop into reserved chard water. Simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
4) Add chickpeas with liquid, or 1 cup water or stock, to the onion. Coarsely chop chard and add it as well. Simmer 10 minutes, then add chard stems. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/31/chickpeas-and-chard/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.