- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Posted By archives On April 5, 2010 @ 9:26 am In Beans and Legumes | No Comments
Recipe by: Rochelle (posted to www.drfuhrman.com)
The Red Sauce:
* Equal part red chili powder and flour (flour is needed to thicken the sauce). We usually 5 T of chili powder and 5 T of flour.
* 1 T oregano
* 1t cumin
* 1 t black pepper
* 1 t garlic powder
* 1 t onion powder
Mix the above in a bowl well.
* 16 oz can of tomato sauce
Turn a burner on medium heat. Put the dry ingredients (ingredients 1-6) in the pan. Slowly add the tomato sauce, 2-3 oz at a time to build a thick paste. Make sure to mix while adding to avoid a clumpy sauce. Once all the tomato sauce is in, slowly add 16-20 oz of water to create a thin sauce. If you do not do this slowly, you will get clumps.
Filling for Enchiladas:
* 4-5 cups of cooked pinto or black beans
* 1 medium onion, finely diced
* 1 can of green chilies
Mash the beans in a bowl. Mix in the onion and can of chilies well.
Making the Enchiladas:
This recipe works best with one 9 x 13 and one 9×9 pan.
You will need
* 2 dozen corn tortillas
Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to make them flexible. While they are heating, cover the bottom of the pans with red sauce.
The rest of the procedure is messy. It is helpful to have a wet cloth to wipe your hands on. I personally arrange my assembly by having my stack of tortillas on the left, followed by the sauce pan with red sauce, then the baking pans, and finally the bowl with the filling.
1. Dip a corn tortilla into the red sauce. Make sure both sides are coated with sauce.
2. Put the tortilla in the pan so the middle of the tortilla is on the crease of the pan. Add about 3 spoonfuls of filling down the middle of the tortilla.
3. Roll up the tortilla keeping the seam towards the bottom.
4. Repeat this procedure packing the rolled tortillas up against each other.
In the 9 x 13 pan, we usually get 10 side by side, 4 along the long edge (2 on the left and 2 on the right) and one down the middle between the pairs going along the long edge. The other 9 we put side by side in the 9×9 pan. Cover the enchiladas with the rest of the sauce. Cook at 350 F for 25 – 30 minutes.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/04/05/enchiladas/
Copyright © 2002-2015 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.