- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Chickpeas A’la King
Posted By archives On April 12, 2010 @ 8:54 am In Beans and Legumes | 2 Comments
Recipe By: Joanne Stepaniak
Submitted by: Sue in NJ
Nutritional info is for regular Rice Dreams rice milk. A fat-free soy or rice milk would give this recipe an even lower fat and calorie count.
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup red bell pepper — chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme — crumbled
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups rice milk — or low-fat soymilk or other non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cups chickpeas — 1-15oz can, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup scallions — finely chopped
1. Sauté the mushrooms & bell peppers in water or veggie broth (original recipe called for oil) for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly so they don’t stick or brown. Stir in the flour, then add nutritional yeast and spices and continue cooking & stirring for another minute.
2. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the milk, mixing constantly to avoid lumps.
3. Return to heat to continue cooking. Stir constantly until thickened, then add chickpeas & scallions and continue cooking another 3-5 minutes or until the chickpeas are thoroughly warmed.
4. Serve at once over biscuits, rice, noodles or toast points. *See note.
Serving Size: 4
“Use chickpeas, not chicken in this old fashioned entrée. You’re bound to get compliments that will make you crow. Serve it over rice, toasted bread triangles, or split biscuits. – Jo Stepaniak”
“Vegan Vittles – Recipes Inspired by the Critters of the Farm Sanctuary”
*Sue’s note: To keep this recipe acceptable on complex carb/low GI plans, be sure to use whole grain biscuits (fat-free for McDougall or Ornish-type programs), brown rice, or whole grain bread or noodles.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/04/12/chickpeas-ala-king/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.