- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Lebanese Vegetable Stew with Chickpeas
Posted By Susan Voisin On April 12, 2010 @ 10:35 am In Beans and Legumes,Featured Recipes,Recipes with Photos,Soups and Stews | 3 Comments
Here’s a recipe that’s perfect for both the Fuhrman and McDougall programs. I got it from the Veg-Recipes list, but I’ve adapted it to remove the olive oil that was used to sauté the onion. I also reduced the amount of allspice because I made it as it was listed (1/2 tsp) and it was a little overwhelming. Even with the full amount of allspice, it was very tasty–even my six-year-old liked it, and she claims not to like eggplant. Also, notice that the six servings are appetizer-sized servings. If you’re making it for a main dish, this will be about 3-4 large-sized servings.
Recipe By :Faye Levy, adapted by Susan Voisin
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
1 pound eggplant
1 large onion — chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper — (optional, to taste)
12 ounces zucchini (see cook’s notes) — diced (3/4-inch)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves — chopped (2 to 4)
1/4 teaspoon allspice — (optional)
1/2 cup water
15 ounces chickpeas, canned — drained
1/3 cup Italian parsley — chopped
Makes 6 appetizer servings
Cook’s notes: If available, Levy recommends using a pale-green zucchini variety. [Lebanese zucchini are slightly tapered, pale green with gray skin and are slightly shorter and thicker than yellow zucchini]
1. Preliminaries: If the eggplant skin is not tough, you don’t need to peel it. Cut the eggplant into a 3/4-inch dice.
2. Brown the onions: Heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium flame. Add the onion and sauté 7 minutes, or until the onion starts to turn golden brown. If the onion dries out, add 1 tablespoon water and cover until onions are done.
3 .Sauté vegetables: Add eggplant and salt and pepper, if desired. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini, cover and cook an additional 3 minutes.
4. Simmer, season the stew: Add the tomato sauce, garlic, allspice, water and chickpeas. Cover and cook over a low flame 25 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Add half the parsley and simmer 30 seconds. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Stir in remaining parsley.
5. Presentation: Serve hot, at room temperature or cold.
Source: recipe from Faye Levy’s Feast from the Mideast: 250 Sun-Drenched Dishes from the Lands of the Bible (Cookbooks)
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
Per serving: 130 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 466mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/04/12/lebanese-vegetable-stew-with-chickpeas/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.