- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf with Pomegranate Seeds
Posted By archives On April 21, 2010 @ 9:56 am In Rice and Grains | No Comments
Submitted by: Moon, from 2003 Fall “Eating Well” magazine, modified to remove oil, etc.
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. wild rice, rinsed
1/2 c. pearl barley
3 c. veggie broth
1/3 c. pine nuts (could be omitted to reduce fat content)
1 c. pomegranate seeds
2 tsp lemon zest
2 T chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1) Wet sauté onion over medium heat until softened.
2) Sauté barley and wild rice in Pam/cooking spray for a few seconds. (I’ve tried other methods to replace the oil sauté, but nothing gives the rice the same final texture as just a touch of cooking spray. If anyone has suggestions….)
3) Add onions and broth to rice pot. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until wild rice and barley are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45-50 minutes.
4) Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
5) Add pomegranate seeds, lemon zest, parsley and toasted pine nuts to the pilaf, fluff with a fork, serve hot.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/04/21/barley-and-wild-rice-pilaf-with-pomegranate-seeds/
Copyright © 2002-2012 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.