- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Posted By archives On April 21, 2010 @ 10:21 am In Rice and Grains,Salads | No Comments
Recipe By: adapted from Woman’s Day Magazine, April 23, 2002, page 130
Serving Size: 6
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup bottled fatfree Italian dressing
2 teaspoons creamy Dijon mustard
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup shredded carrots
1 red bell pepper — quartered
cored and thinly sliced
1 apple — any kind, diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup toasted coarsely chopped pecans — (see Note)
LOW COST. LOW FAT. SERVES 6 PREP: 20 min. COOK: Varies with type used. PER SERVING: 66 cents.
Planning Tip: Can be made through Step 3 up to three hours ahead. Refrigerate until about 12 hour before serving.
1. Cook rice as directed on package, omitting butter, if called for.
2. Meanwhile line rimmed baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup). Spread rice on baking sheet; let cool.
3. Whisk dressing and mustard in a large serving bowl. Add rice, celery, carrots, red pepper, apple, onion and parsley.
4. Just before serving, stir in pecans.
NOTE: To toast pecans, spread them in a baking pan or a microwave-safe plate. Stirring a few times, bake in 350F oven 8 to 10 minutes or microwave on high about 4 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned. Cool before chopping.
Posted to Veg-Recipes list
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/04/21/rice-salad/
Copyright © 2002-2012 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.