- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Burger
Posted By archives On May 6, 2010 @ 8:59 am In Beans and Legumes,Meat Substitutes,Rice and Grains | 21 Comments
1 medium onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, finely grated
1/2 can black beans, slightly drained
1/2 of 1 baked sweet potato, flesh scooped out
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked (I was confused by this direction, not sure if it meant half a cup of cooked quinoa or what–so I interpreted it as, take 1/2 cup dry quinoa and prepare it, and use what results–which is way more than 1/2 cup after it’s all soaked, of course! That seemed to work fine, so I think that is what they meant.)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free, if necessary)
1 Tb caraway seeds
3 Tb chopped cilantro (I used 1 Tb dried)
2 Tb tomato paste or ketchup
hot sauce or cayenne pepper to taste
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onion and garlic in non-stick skillet.
2. Add beans to pan and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring now and then.
3. Turn off heat. Mash beans in pan till they’re about half crushed. Put in big bowl with all the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. If too moist, add more bread crumbs.
4. Form into patties. Grill or bake.
Note: These were marvelous baked in the oven and put on buns with lots of rhubarb chutney and tomato and lettuce. I have not yet played with the amounts to come up with how to convert it to a “meat”loaf or “meat”balls but I bet it would be good that way.
Note 2: You can also soak sundried tomatoes and/or dried mushrooms and cut them up and add to the mix.
Adapted slightly from a recipe by Christina
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/05/06/sweet-potato-black-bean-quinoa-burger/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.