- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Posted By Susan Voisin On May 6, 2010 @ 9:36 am In Recipes with Photos,Soups and Stews | 1 Comment
(a gluten-free recipe)
Recipe by: Karina Allrich
I made this in my Crock-Pot one raw rainy Sunday, and it was pure comfort food. The next day, it even tasted better!
* 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil* [substitute]
* 2 Tbsp curry powder
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 2 tablespoons water
* 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 carrots, peeled and diced
* 1 cup cauliflower florets, chopped
* 1 large Granny Smith or tart apple, peeled, cored and diced
* 1 large potato, peeled and diced
* 6 cups light vegetable broth
* Juice from 1 lime
* 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
* 1 14-oz. can chick peas, drained
* 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk [see note]
* 1 pinch sugar, to taste
* sea salt, to taste
[*Try substituting oil with a little water or vegetable broth.]
1. Heat the oil* over medium high heat in a medium size soup pot. Add the curry and cayenne and stir for 1 minute. Add the onion, water, garlic, carrots, cauliflower, apple, and potato and sauté until softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the broth, lime juice, tomatoes and chick peas; season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the coconut milk, sea salt, and pinch of sugar. Heat through.
3. Serve as is, or puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth, if desired. Or – partially puree it to retain some texture. Return it to the soup pot and heat over low heat until serving.
Note: As mentioned, this recipe can easily convert to Crock-Pot cookery. Simply combine all the of the ingredients, but reserve the chick peas and coconut milk – to add later – during the last 30 minutes of slow-cooking.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/05/06/vegetarian-mulligatawny/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.