- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Spinach and Shiitake Soup
Posted By Katherine Lawrence On June 4, 2010 @ 3:51 pm In Recipes with Photos,Soups and Stews | 5 Comments
1 Onion, diced
2 Carrots, sliced
1 stalk Celery, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 T. Italian Seasoning
1 T. Sesame Oil
2 Bay Leaves
1 fresh Jalapeño Pepper, diced
2 c. Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
2 qts. Vegetable Broth
1 4” piece Kombu sea vegetable
1 can Navy or Cannellini Beans
1-2 t. Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning
2 – 3 c. chopped Spinach (or Kale, if tender)
1. Sauté onion, carrots, celery, jalapeño, garlic and Italian seasoning in sesame oil until tender. With spatula, move all vegetables to sides of pot.
2. Add mushrooms and sesame oil to the center of pot; sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and sauté.
3. Add spinach or kale and 1/2 c of broth. Put lid on pot and steam until greens begins to wilt. Add remaining broth, kombu, bay leaves and beans.
4. Bring to boil, then simmer 20-30 minutes to combine flavors. It’s delicious served over steamed brown rice or with vegan-buttered cornbread.
Submitted by Katherine Lawrence (www.plantbasedhealth.com), cooking instructor for The Cancer Project.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/06/04/spinach-and-shiitake-soup/
Copyright © 2002-2015 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.