- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Posted By archives On October 31, 2010 @ 11:03 pm In Meat Substitutes,Soy | 3 Comments
This was posted by Faith on the McDougall list, and several people made it and liked it.
2 cups of prepared veg broth
½ cup ketchup
2 tblsp tamari (or soy sauce)
2 cups of TVP granules
1 cup of quick oats or bread crumbs
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tblsp of nutritional yeast
1 tsp each garlic granules, onion powder, oregano and basil
(BBQ topping option: 1/3 cup unsweetened ketchup, 2 tbls tamari, a good shake of liquid smoke)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. In medium bowl, combine prepared broth, ketchup, tamari and TVP. Mix to combine and let stand 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
2. Add remaining ingredients, except topping. Mix well
3. Pack mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a glass casserole. (Many people making this suggest just forming into a loaf on a baking sheet.) Bake 40-45 minutes.
4. If using topping, spread on loaf during the last 10 minutes of baking.
Tastes great with Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy and mashed potatoes.
Fat-Free Mushroom Gravy
1 cup water or vegetable broth
1 tblsp barley miso
1 Tblsp tamari
2 tblsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup diced mushrooms
pepper to taste
1 tblsp arrowroot mixed with 1 tblsp water
Combine all ingredients except arrowroot in small saucepan; simmer for 5 minutes. Do not boil as this will kill the beneficial bacteria in miso.
Add arrowroot mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly until thickened.
Use on meatloaf, potatoes, biscuits, etc.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/10/31/meat-loaf/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.