- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Wild Rice Stuffed Roasted Squash
Posted By Susan Voisin On November 1, 2010 @ 6:19 pm In Holiday,Rice and Grains,Vegetables | No Comments
Submitted by: Courtney
Here is one that is always a stand-by for any holiday gathering–usually Thanksgiving. It is great as a main dish or as a side dish. It is one of many stuffed squash recipes I use–they are great for holidays!
* 2 acorn squash
* 1 cup wild rice (I used brown/black/wild)
* 2 veggie bouillon cubes (optional–I never use them)
* 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
* 1 yellow onion
* 2-3 stalks of celery
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional–I never use them)
* 1 1/4 teaspoon (or so) each dried tarragon and sage
* garlic powder and salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Start cooking the rice. Cook according to package directions, just add the veggi bouillon.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Put them cut side down in a casserole dish. Roast them for one hour, or until they collapse easily when pushed with a wooden spoon. (You could do this in the microwave, but I like the “baked” taste for this dish)
3. Chop the onion, celery, and walnuts. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add some water/broth or pan spray. Put in the onion and sauté it for about 3 minutes, then add the celery and sauté it for around 2 more, then add the walnuts and sauté a little longer until the onion is translucent, the celery is on the soft side, and the walnuts are a little toasted (add more sauté liquid/pan spray as needed).
4. Add the rice to the pan and then add the vinegar and spices and continue heating it a little to meld the flavors.
5. Your squash should be done by now–spoon the rice mixture into the cavities. Since everything is cooked, you can serve it now, or put it back in the oven to bake it a little more, depending on if you like the “crisp” that will come when the rice is baked…it is up to you!
From the Fatfree Vegan Email List archives
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/11/01/wild-rice-stuffed-roasted-squash/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.