Low-Fat Gingerbread Cookies
by Katherine Lawrence, of www.plantbasedhealth.com
5 c. of Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
2 t. Baking Soda
1 T. ground Ginger
1 t. ground Cinnamon
3/4 t. ground Cloves
½ t. Salt
1/3 c. Vegan Butter [moderator’s note: use additional applesauce to make fat-free]
1 1/2 c. Molasses
½ c. Applesauce
2 T. Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter until it is creamed. Add the molasses, applesauce and vinegar and continue whisking until well mixed.
4. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture.
5. Chill dough in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes until firm enough to roll.
6. On parchment paper, or a lightly-floured surface, roll the dough to 1/8” thick. Sprinkle extra flour on top, if the dough is sticky
Cut dough into gingerbread men or holiday shapes.
7. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until light brown. Remove cookies from the oven and let cool completely before decorating. Sprinkle with vegan powdered sugar or make a quick icing for more details.
* Optional Icing – Whisk 1 c. vegan powdered sugar, 2 T water and ¼ t. Vanilla until lumps are dissolved. Pipe through a plastic bag with the corner cut off.