From Healthy Slow Cooking – A Vegan Slow Cooker Blog
Almond Joy Oatmeal
2 to 3 servings
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that’s 1 1/2 to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk (only 50 calories a cup!)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded unsweetened coconut
(I used reduced fat organic)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- sweetener to taste (I use about 2 tablespoon agave nectar)
- Toppings for serving: slivered almonds (about 1 tablespoon per serving)
The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add everything except agave and almonds. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. Stir in sweetener and top each serving with slivered almonds.
You can top with extra coconut and mini chocolate chips if you really want to go all out. It is V-day after all and this is still better for you than a box of chocolates! 1/2 half of this recipes has 318 calories which is not bad if it’s your whole breakfast. (This number does not count in extra toppings other than 1 tablespoon slivered almonds.)