- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Melon and Banana Slaw
Posted By archives On May 11, 2011 @ 9:22 am In Fruit,Salads | No Comments
Submitted by Mary P. (From Vegetarian Times 01-JUN-04)
The tofu makes a very creamy dressing, which you can use in many different recipes such as on tropical fruit for a first course or for a delicate mixed greens salad garnished with fresh fruit. Other possibilities include using it as a dessert sauce over frozen fruit-flavored yogurt or as a flavorful topping for cut-up fruit for dessert.
1 cup silken soft tofu
1 ripe banana, peeled
2 tsp. grated lime zest
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. brown rice syrup or other vegan sweetener
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 cups thinly sliced melon of any variety
2 cups finely shredded green cabbage leaves
1. Put tofu, banana, lime zest, lime juice, syrup, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth, for about 30 seconds. Refrigerate until chilled.
2. Slice melons by carefully cutting off rinds, leaving melons whole. Cut 1/4-inch-thick slices from one side until nearly at seed cavity. Repeat with remaining 3 sides. Stack, cut slices into 1/4-x3-inch pieces and measure in cup. Put strips in a bowl.
3. Remove very green leaves from outer layers of cabbage, and cut off any thick ribs and tough stem ends. Stack 3 or 4 leaves, and roll into a cigar shape. Using a very sharp knife, slice cabbage into very thin shreds, and add to bowl with melon.
4. Dress salad with chilled yogurt-banana-lime dressing, gently stirring it in to avoid breaking melon, and serve
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/05/11/melon-and-banana-slaw/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.