- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Seitan and Mushroom Stroganoff
Posted By ffvhelper On September 29, 2011 @ 9:14 am In Pasta | 2 Comments
Submitted by: Maida
This recipe is adapted from what I consider the best vegan cookbook -Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak. I assume you could substitute larger pieces of TVP, or tofu strips, or tempeh for the seitan strips. I can find stir fry strips (made of seitan) at Whole Foods. You can always make your own seitan from vital wheat gluten, but that is a whole other topic.
This creamy stroganoff is perfect over rice, toast, or egg-free noodles. Just add a crunchy tossed salad to complete your meal.
2 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs soy sauce
1 1/ 3 cups vegetable broth or water
1/ 2 tsp garlic granules
3 Tbs tahini
2 c thinly sliced onions
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
4 c sliced fresh mushrooms
2 c thinly sliced seitan strips
ground black pepper, to taste
1. For the gravy, place the cornstarch and soy sauce in a 2-quart saucepan and stir them together well to make a thin, smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the vegetable broth or water and garlic granules. Place the sauce-pan over medium-high hea6t, and cook the grabby, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until it thickens and comes to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and beat in the tahini using a wire whisk. Cover the saucepan with a lid, and set it aside.
2. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté them for 10 minutes, adding water if necessary to prevent sticking.
3. Add the mushrooms to the onion in the skillet and cook, stirring often, for 5 – 7 minutes longer.
4. Stir in seitan strips and the reserved gravy (from step #1)) into the onion and mushrooms in the skillet. Reduce the heat to low , and cook, stirring often, about 5 to 10 minutes, just until the seitan is heated through.
5. Season the stroganoff with ground black pepper, to taste. Serve at once.
Yield: 4 servings
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/09/29/seitan-and-mushroom-stroganoff/
Copyright © 2002-2014 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.