Lassi is an Indian yogurt drink that can be either sweet or salty. I like mine sweet with mango, mint and just a hint of lemon verbena.
Traditionally a mango lassi is made with fresh mango and a little ice, but the mango I came home to met with an untimely demise. Thank goodness for frozen back-up fruit! So, I took advantage of the iciness of the frozen mango and left out the ice altogether.
Mint Mango Lassi with Lemon Verbena
soy-free option*, gluten-free
serves 2 but can be easily doubled or even tripled.
- 1½ cup frozen mango
- 1 cup unsweetened soy yogurt (*use coconut or almond yogurt to make this soy-free)
- 1 cup nondairy milk (I used nut milk)
- 1 (3inch) sprig fresh mint (stem and all)
- 1 lemon verbena leaf (or 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest)
- sweeten to taste, I used about 2 tablespoons agave nectar
Throw everything except the sweetener into a blender and puree. Sweeten to taste.
You can also use fresh mango and throw in a few ice cubes to make it frosty. I like using frozen because I can have one in a hurry.