- Fatfree Vegan Recipes - http://fatfreevegan.com -
Skillet or Crock-pot Seitan au Vin
Posted By archives On November 19, 2012 @ 10:36 pm In Holiday,Meat Substitutes | No Comments
Recipe by Meghan Gray
What follows is my very own recipe. This was originally a recipe I got from a regional cookbook called Southern Sideboards, which is put out by a Junior League group in Mississippi, I think. It was a decidedly non-vegan, non-healthful recipe, which I first made low fat and have now evolved again.
1 1/4 cup vegetable stock, divided
1 cup Red wine, (any cheap vegan version)
1 1/2 lb. seitan, in two “cutlets”
1 md Onion, chopped
8 ounces Mushrooms, sliced
4 Carrots, halved or quartered lengthwise depending on thickness
non stick spray
1 teaspoon Thyme
2 Bay leaves
5 Cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
Veganized original recipe instructions would go like this (keep reading before starting):
1. Coat a large skillet with non-stick spray.
2. Combine the pepper and flour, and dredge the seitan “cutlets” in the mixture.
3. On medium heat, brown seitan cutlets on both sides. (About 3-5 minutes, altogether.)
4. Remove seitan to a plate and cover.
5. Add onions, garlic, and 2 Tablespoons stock to skillet. Sauté about 1 minute, until onions are translucent.
6. Add mushrooms and more broth, if required, and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
7. Return seitan to skillet.
8. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 1 hour (or more) until done.
9. Serve over brown rice.
However, I did not do it this way, and my limited seitan experience does not lead me to believe it would turn out well if I did. (Poaching the floured cutlets in a wine gravy ahead of time then doing the recipe as listed above is probably quite feasible.) I did a version of this for my 6-quart slow cooker. I tripled the ingredients (except the stock, which I used 3 1/4 cups of) and did this:
1. Combine wine, bay leaves, carrots, and 3 cups stock in slow cooker crock. Cover and turn heat to “low.”
2. Coat a large skillet with non-stick spray.
3. Combine the pepper and flour, and dredge the seitan “cutlets” in the mixture.
4. On medium heat, brown seitan cutlets on both sides. (About 3-5 minutes, altogether.)
5. Add browned “cutlets” to crock pot and cover.
6. Add onions, garlic, and 2 Tablespoons stock to skillet. Sauté about 1 minute, until onions are translucent.
7. Add mushrooms and more broth, if required, and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
8. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms to crock-pot.
9. Simmer 6-8 hours on low.
10. Add thyme to crock-pot, simmer 30 minutes more, and serve.
For a smaller crock pot, adjust your ingredients accordingly and follow the same instructions. The original proportions, above, serve 2 and the crock pot portions serve 6.
Article printed from Fatfree Vegan Recipes: http://fatfreevegan.com
URL to article: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2012/11/19/skillet-or-crock-pot-seitan-au-vin/
Copyright © 2002-2013 Fat Free Vegan Recipes. All rights reserved.