Recipe by Ellen Naor. More details and complete nutritional information can be found at lovelowfat.com/vegan-cauliflower-soup.
My mom is an awesome cook, and she sometimes surprises me with amazing dishes made from ingredients I previously thought I didn’t like. I’ve never been a big fan of cauliflower, and I’m not a big soup eater.
But her vegan cauliflower soup blew me away the first time I had it. I just couldn’t stop eating it! Now it’s one of my all time faves, and I even bought an immersion blender so I can make it myself. Yum!
Besides being insanely tasty, this soup is incredibly easy to make. It’s also super healthy since with no added oil it’s extremely low in fat. So simple, so delicious. You can’t beat yummy, easy, and healthy, so let’s get cooking!
1 head cauliflower, medium size
1 small Yukon Gold or other waxy potato
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 cups water
3 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base – sometimes I cheat and add a little more since I love the flavor so much, but be aware that increases the sodium content substantially. If you’re watching your sodium intake, you may want to substitute with a low sodium broth instead.
1. Prepare the cauliflower by removing the core and green leaves. Trim off any brown spots, cut it into smallish chunks, and rinse them.
2. Prepare potato by rinsing and cutting into thin slices.
3. Combine all ingredients in a soup pot or a saucepan large enough so that level of liquid is at least 2” below rim of pan (to leave room for immersion blending, see below). Liquid should be 2-3” deep.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until cauliflower is very soft. You can test how soft the cauliflower is with a fork.
5. Remove from heat and process with immersion blender until smooth and velvety. It’s important to mix it well, such that all of the potato is completely blended. This releases the starch in the potato which gives the soup its creamy texture.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of paprika!
The recipe makes around 8 cups of creamy cauliflower soup, enough for six servings.