Submitted by: Susan V.
You can substitute dried bread cubes for the fresh ones, but you’ll have to increase the liquid or it’ll be too dry.
* 4 cups whole grain bread cubes (about 6 ounces of bread)
* 3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
* 1 tbsp. dried or 3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
* 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* generous amount freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
* 1 to 2 tbsp. soy sauce
* 1/2 cup boiling water or vegetable broth
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Spray or lightly oil a 1-quart baking dish. In it, mix bread cubes with seasonings, yeast, onion, celery, raisins, and nuts. Add the soy sauce to the boiling broth and pour it over all, stirring to moisten completely. Add additional liquid if the stuffing seems too dry.
Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
Delicious served with mushroom gravy and Pan-Fried Tofu.
Adapted from a recipe in American Wholefoods Cuisine.