Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chick’n Chowder – serves 4
Cooking Time: 6 to 8 hours on low (or 3 to 4 on high)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cup vegan chick’n, cubed package (Gardein, Soy Delight, Smart Strips Chick’n, etc.)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leave
- 1 tablespoon vegan chick’n bouillon, like Better than Bouillon (or 2 tablespoons of the one from my book if you have it)
- 4 cups water
- cayenne or chipotle powder to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious – it’s the thickest and great for soups.)
- salt and pepper to taste (will vary greatly on the bouillon used)
The night before: Cut up the veggies and chick’n. Thaw pumpkin purée if you have it frozen. Store together in one bowl in the fridge.
In the morning: Add everything except the non-dairy milk, and the extra salt or pepper. Cook on low for 6 to 8 (or on high for 3 to 4 hours).
Remove bay leaf and thyme stems (if you used fresh thyme). Then add the non-dairy milk and sour cream. Make sure you thoroughly mix them in the soup. Then taste your soup, and add more salt, pepper, cayenne, or thyme if needed.
If you want a thicker soup you can take about 1/3 of the soup and purée it in a blender or food processor and then mix it into the rest of the soup.