This vegan Mac & Cheeze is incredible – It is creamy, smoky, and delicious. No nuts in this recipe, and all of its deliciousness is derived from plant power!! I was so thrilled when I realized that my cheese sauce did not need any added nuts. The baked acorn squash bowl makes this a complete meal and a fun presentation! I have made this recipe for many dinner parties and it is always a hit! Please enjoy!
Ashley, Lipstick and Berries
Mac & Cheese Sauce Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 Medium Yam, boiled, (skin removed optional)
1 Small Carrot, boiled (about 1 cup)
Water or Vegetable broth, for sautéeing
1 Sweet Onion, sliced
1/2 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
6 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
Sprinkle of Black Pepper
1/4 – 1/2 Cup Non-Dairy Milk, unsweetened
Whole Wheat Pasta, boiled (or any of you’re favorite pasta)
1 Acorn Squash, halved and baked
1. Bake Squash. Place whole squash in a baking dish with an inch or two of water. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.
2. Boil Yam & Carrot until very soft. (You are welcome to leave the skin on the yam if you like)
3. In a saute pan, add a splash of water and heat on medium/high. When water starts to sizzle, add the chopped onions to the pan.
4. Water Saute the onions (continue to add water to prevent sticking) for 3-5 minutes or until slightly translucent.
5. Add garlic to the onions, and sauté until fragrant.
6. Add lemon juice, dijon, paprika, turmeric, and black pepper.
7. Once the Yam, carrots, and sauté mixture are completed individually, Add all into a high powered blender or Vitamix and puree until completely smooth.
8. Cook pasta according to package directions.
9. Remove squash from oven. Carefully slice in half and scoop out seeds.
7. Pour “cheese” sauce over warm pasta and place in acorn squash bowl!