This is one of the quickest meals I know, although I discovered it in one of the most leisurely places on earth. Strolling along the beach near Ocho Rios in Jamaica, I came across a man cooking creamy coconut rice, smoky-tasting greens, and velvety red beans, all in an iron kettle set over a charcoal fire in a shack. He ladled out this modest food onto a paper plate, and I ate it sitting on a log beside the sea.
- Beans and Legumes
- Blog Recipe of the Week
- Cooking Tips
- Desserts & Sweets
- Eat To Live
- Featured Recipes
- Main Dishes
- Meat Substitutes
- Pressure Cooker
- Recipes with Photos
- Rice and Grains
- Sandwiches and Spreads
- Sauces & Seasonings
- Soups and Stews
- Whenever you start your Amazon shopping through this link, FFV earns a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Archive for the ‘Soy’ Category
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1-3/4 cups water…
You can use other types of Thai curry paste for this recipe, but Mussamun works very well with the potatoes and cashews.
Two 10.5oz packages silken firm tofu
1/8 tsp garlic powder…
Tofu, high in protein, low in calories, is made from curdled soy milk, and is available in several textures. Tofu can be refrigerated for up to a week. Store tofu in water and change the water daily. This flavorful stew is delicious with pasta, rice, or steamed new potatoes.
This tofu-based filling is reminiscent of a traditional egg and mayo salad recipe, but studded with raw veggies that provide color as well as a little crunch.
4 c. masa harina
1 tsp. baking powder…
Makes 6 large burgers
Here’s a recipe we’ve used for years. My daughter, a senior in college, is addicted to it. While it isn’t like the Kraft thing, we find it good on potatoes, rice, or steamed broccoli and cauliflower as well as on noodles. –Sherry
Alternate Ingredients: I think this would also be good with crumbled firm tofu, especially Italian Herb “More Than Tofu” or cannellini beans in place of the TVP. –embroiderama
My kids – even the pickiest ones loved it and even asked for more. There is a small amount of fat in this recipe from the vegan cheese. I’m hoping this tiny amount doesn’t upset anyone. I apologize in advance if it does. It’s so hard to find recipes that are virtually fat free that my kids like – this one fit the bill so I thought I’d share it. –Gayle
We eat this at least once a week. If I don’t have a quart of my own spaghetti sauce handy, I use a jar of store-bought. –serene
I’m always on the hunt for new dip ideas. This was an experiment I am quite pleased with. It is quick, filling and delicious, not to mention healthy!
8 ounces baked tofu
1 pound extra-firm tofu
2 cups cooked brown rice…
- My Recipe Box: Save your favorite recipes to your personalized recipe box.
- Jim Froelich on Fat-Free Oatmeal Cookies
- Anne on Aloo Saag (Indian Creamed Spinach & Potatoes)
- Alicia C Castleman on Fatfree Pancakes or Waffles
- Jeffrey Lemkin on Pesto
- Sandy Smith on Minestrone Soup
- Susan Voisin on Slow Cooker Vanilla Fig Oatmeal Topped with Baklava Filling
- Leeanne on Slow Cooker Vanilla Fig Oatmeal Topped with Baklava Filling
- Valerie on Bryanna’s Homemade Vegan Chicken-Style Broth Powder
- Lisa on Spaghetti Squash Pesto Lasagna
- Susan Voisin on Substitutes