Another slow cooker recipe from Healthy Slow Cooking – A Vegan Slow Cooker Blog
Slow Cooker Vegan Cassoulet
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 tube Lightlife Gimme Lean sausage (or your favorite sausage crumbles)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 2 cups pre-cooked field peas or black-eyed peas(feel free to just use 1 1/2 cups if you are using canned peas)
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (or a 14.5 ounce can – do not drain)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken seitan (or about 2 packages Lightlife Smart Strips), chopped
- 1 to 2 cups water plus 1 tablespoon vegan chick’n bouillon(or same amount broth, it can be from the seitan if you are using homemade)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke or smoked paprika (or 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt and no additional salt)
- salt to taste
The night before: Heat a pan over medium heat then add the onion, a few tablespoons water and sauté until translucent. Add the Gimme Lean to the onion mixture in the pan. Cook until you can crumble the sausage easily with your spatula and it is browned and cooked thoroughly. Chop the celery and carrots. Store everything together in the fridge overnight.
In the morning: Add everything to the slow cooker to an oiled slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove rosemary stem then serve.
August 14th, 2012 at 6:02 am
Light life is a brand that makes a Vegan sausage caller gimme lean. There are no animal ingredients in it at all.
Also calling for chicken seitan is just to get a lighter color and usually it is flavored with nutritional yeast not any meat ingredient. Also if you are new to meatless eating you may not know that seitan is made out of wheat gluten. While it has a texture closer to meat it is completely vegan.
If you are not a fan of these products you could add extra beans in place. I would also add nutritional yeast and a bit of sausage spices to keep the broth rich.
I hope this helps!