(Fridge sign designed by Barbara)
Eat to Live 6-Week Plan
From the book Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want):
- all raw vegetables, including raw carrots (goal: 1 lb. daily)
- cooked green vegetables (goal 1 lb. daily)
- beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or *tofu (minimum 1 cup daily in total of these)
- fresh fruit (at least 4 daily).
- eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato and other non-starchy vegetables, cooked and raw (unlimited)
*Beans should be eaten daily; tofu should be eaten less frequently.
LIMITED (not more than one serving):
- cooked starchy vegetables OR whole grains–Maximum 1 cup per day (butternut or acorn squash, corn, sweet potato, brown rice, cooked carrots, whole grain breads*, whole grain cereals*)
- raw nuts and seeds (1 oz. or 28.5 grams a day) or 2 ounces avocado
- ground flaxseed (1 tablespoon a day)
- soymilk, low-sugar preferred–Maximum 1 cup a day
*avoid breads and cereals as much as possible
- dairy products
- animal products
- between meal snacks
- fruit juice, dried fruits
- salt, sugar
NUTS and RAW SEEDS, but not ground flax, are optional for obese or overweight persons while they follow this weight loss plan. People who have difficulty losing weight may also eliminate the starchy vegetable/grain.
- Recipes suitable for the Eat to Live program can be found throughout this website, in the Eat to Live tag section, and on the Blog.
- For more information, check out the ETL section of the FAQS page.
- For a graphic representation of the ETL program, see this page.
- Not sure whether a vegetable is starchy or unlimited? Check out this list!
- For more support, sign up for membership to Dr. Fuhrman’s Member Center
- But, to really understand it all, you must read the book!
May 30th, 2010 at 9:48 pm
I just finished my first week on E2L and I was down almost 7lbs! Just about 1lb per day! I completely quit caffeine and I cut out the salt as well. Honestly, the caffeine part was the hardest. Even after just one week, I am having less inflammation in my hands and feet and I just feel more energetic. I have been strict about eating less than 1oz of nuts per day and I also have not been eating grains. I limited myself to red skin potatoes 2-3x per week. I still have food cravings and struggle with not snacking because I work a really long day and have an hour commute from work to home. But, I only snack on fruit or veggies. I absolutely love having green smoothies for breakfast…I use 5oz of spinach, 1/2 c pomegrante juice, 1/2 c of almond milk, 1.5 c frozen mixed berries and 1tbsp of ground flaxseed. It really gets my day off to a good start. I encourage people to read the book and to give the 6 week challenge a try!